Date

So,
After a piece of hardware melting down on me, it turned out to be time to upgrade to 64bit distribution on one of my machines that had previously been on 32bit.

Crazy that I am, I decided to try and do it on the fly rather than get a USB stick and sorting it out. These are some of my notes from that.

First, it's time to clean out your machine. Make sure that
yum check
as well as
yum distro-sync
are clean and working satisfyingly, this should have your machine up to the same set that the official mirrors are.
( Also, clean out any packages you don't use, the less you have to work with, the easier the next steps are)

After this, grab a current kernel from the upgrades repo of the x86_64
branch.
A check of `/etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo` and you'll see

#baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/updates/$releasever/$basearch/
download the kernel, and install it: `rpm -Uvh --ignorearch kernel*.x86_64*rpm`

Now reboot into your new kernel and see that things work. Yey.

Time to get a list of installed programs, and sort things out a bit more.
install the `yum-downloadonly plugin` for yum.
Then run `rpm -qa --qf '%{name}.%{arch}\n' |grep -E '\.i.86' |sed s/i.86/x86_64/g >rpmlist.txt`

then it's time to download the packages (this will take some time)

yum --downloadonly --downloaddir=$SOMEPLACEWITHSPACE install $(cat rpmlist.txt)

After this, it's a huge slew of rpm upgrade packages to be done:
rpm -Uvh *rpm --replacepkgs --replacefiles --ignorearch

This churned on for a while, then hung with a db4 compat issue. removing the __db.00* files in /var/lib/rpm and doing an rpm --rebuilddb seems to have fixed that database without complications.
After this, I tested, went down into runlevel 1 ( Probably should have done this before doing the mass upgrade. It seems like a saner thing to do ) and started some commands, verified that things looked okay. Then rebooted it all to make sure.

Success.